Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Yesterday I had my first clinical rotation in the ER.  Meaning; I spent a twelve hours working/being trained in the Emergency Room of the Hospital.   I met a lot of people with all sorts of injuries and complaints.  While some of the patients give me the whoozes to think about now, when I was working, it was no problem at all.  There was poop, blood, bad breath, drooling geriatrics, knife wounds, kidney stones, crazy patients, and dog bites.   And the learning curve happened super fast.  I was giving shots, drawing blood, starting IVs and also on the floor cleaning up blood splatter.  So, from now on, I have 1 or 2 clinical rotations each week and that is where I will get the bulk of my skills and training.  
 School is finally turning up the heat and I feel like there is a job for me to do...YES!  We are studying the skin now.  Why do they show the most horrific pictures as examples of skin diseases?  For example;  if they are explaining about warts, they can't just show a picture of a wart of the back of the hand...it has to be a pile of warts on the genitalia to get the point across.  Good Night and Love from Adriana

2 comments:

  1. ewwww extreme pictures and splaters, you rock adri.. so tough, you vambies have a high tolerance for the gross, keep keeping on, school/rotations sound amazing and intense, gaining super skills as we speak.... making the cape in the profile pic all the more appropriate... lots of love to you porter and scout...k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I am SO JEALOUS of your rotations! STAB WOUNDS?! Wow.

    ReplyDelete